Business Economics

PART A (40 points in total)

Answer ALL of the following Questions. Please choose ONE (and only one) available answer for each one of them. Choosing more than one option is treated as a wrong answer. List your chosen option in your answer booklet(s).


  1. Pulsar Plc is considering of exporting its products to the Swedish market. It expects to earn an annual accounting profit of £200m from doing so. It has also the option to begin exporting to India, Brasil or South Africa, but it has the production capacity for only one of the four possible markets (including Sweden). The expected annual accounting profit for the above three markets is £250m, £200m, and £150m respectively. On the basis of this information, the economic profit of exporting to Sweden is equal to:
    1. -£50m.
    2. £0m.
    3. £50m.
    4. £200m.



  1. If the marginal cost is above the average cost at a certain level of production and the firm decides to increase output, then:
    1. The average cost will increase but the marginal cost will decrease.
    2. Both the average and the marginal cost will increase.
    3. The average cost will increase but the average cost will decrease.
    4. Both the average and the marginal cost will decrease.





  1. Which one of the following conditions you would least expect in a supply-driven market?
    1. Highly standardized products.
    2. Massive market size.
    3. Big corporate customers.
    4. Fast technological change.



  1. Samsung sells its 16in monitors to Apple for £85 per screen. Its estimated cost is £49 and Apple is willing to pay up to £99. The value creation (VC) and consumer surplus (CS) in this case are equal to:
    1. VC=£50 , CS=£14.
    2. Impossible to say.
    3. VC=£36 , CS=£14.
    4. VC=£99 , CS=£36.



  1. Which one of the following is not an element of the five forces framework? a. Internal rivalry.
    1. Supplier power.








  1. The market for social-media-monitoring software exhibits very strong network externalities: The firm with the highest market share doubles its market share every year. It took Rogue Inc 20 years to obtain 100% market share and become a monopoly. How may years did it take for Rogue Inc to obtain 25% market share?



  1. In order to increase the creativity of its staff, Google invested in a highly unique headquarters building, brimming with indoor leisure activities and places for staff to socialize. What type of asset-specific investment is this?
    1. Site-specific investment.
    2. All other options are correct.
    3. Physical asset investment.
    4. Human asset investment.



  1. The two most important types of innovation risk for businesses are:
    1. Funding risk and fire risk.
    2. Regulation risk and insurance risk.
    3. Project-completion risk and methodology-correlation risk.
    4. Ethical risk and supply-chain risk.




PART B (30 points in total)


  1. —”‘„‘”‘•ǯ–‘–ƒŽ…‘•–ȋȌƒ•ƒˆ—…–‹‘‘ˆ‹–•’”‘†—…–‹‘Ž‡˜‡Ž“‹•‰‹˜‡„›–Š‡‡“—ƒ–‹‘ below:



  1. How much is the fixed cost of production for Ouroboros? (5 points)


  1. If q=5,000, how much is the total cost for Ouroboros? (5 points)


  1. Evaluate the marginal cost for Ouroboros when q=3,000. (5 points)


  1. For this part, suppose that Ouroboros has two corporate customers. The first

…‘”’‘”ƒ–‹‘•ǯ demand as a function of —”‘„‘”‘•ǯ’”‹…‡‹•‰‹˜‡„›ܦሺ݌ሻ ൌ ͳͲǡͲͲͲ െ ݌ and the second corporationǯ•†‡ƒ†ˆ—…–‹‘‹•‰‹˜‡„›  ܦሺ݌ሻ ൌ ʹͲǡͲͲͲ െ ݌.

ƒŽ…—Žƒ–‡—”‘„‘”‘•ǯ maximum possible profit level.                                 (15 points)












  1. HealthLife and Voltality are competing in a patent race for a new generation of anti-ageing products. Each one of them needs to pick one of two research approaches. The first approach (X1), is fully deterministic and it will take 10 years to complete. The second one, (X2) is probabilistic and it has a probability of 60% to complete in 5 years and a probability of 40% to complete in 20 years. X2 is statistically independent, i.e. if both companies select it, then the outcome for one company is independent of the outcome for the other. Moreover, if one company achieves the innovation before the other then it will enjoy the advantage of being a monopolist for some period of time and it will generate expected profit of £40bn. The other company gets nothing in this case. Finally, if the two companies complete the innovation at the same time, they will have to share the market and, due to price competition, each one will generate expected profit of £18bn.


  1. Suppose that HealthLife select X1. Assuming that both companies are risk-neutral, i.e. they evaluate their options on the basis of expected profits, which approach does

Voltality prefer to take?                                                                                                    (5 points)


  1. Find what is the likely outcome of its patent race in terms of selected approaches from

the two companies.                                                                                                            (10 points)


  1. Suppose that the two companies also compete in a different patent race, which is fully probabilistic and there is only one available methodology. HealthLife invests ௅ி and Voltality invests ܫ amount of money in the race. The winner gets a market worth of £100 bn and the loser gets nothing. The probability that each company has to win the patent race depends on the investment of both companies and it is given by:




Find how much the two companies will invest in this patent race, their chances of winning it, and their expected profit from participating in this patent race.                         (15 points)



PART C (30 points in total)


  1. With the use of an example, briefly explain the main difference between the ex-ante and the ex-post opportunity cost of capital. Why does this matter for the evaluation of an

investment decision?                                                                                                          (15 points)


  1. In what ways can managers utilise the distinction between ex-ante and ex-post

‘’’‘”–—‹–›…‘•–‘ˆ…ƒ’‹–ƒŽ™Š‡†‡…‹†‹‰‘–Š‡ˆ‹”ǯ••–”ƒ–‡‰›?                      (15 points)


  1. Briefly describe the managerial support framework for vertical integration and

explain its usefulness for managerial decisions.                                                       (15 points)


  1. How can it assist managers in setting-up and sustaining their strategic positioning?

(15 points)






Calculate your paper price
Pages (550 words)
Approximate price: -

Why Choose Us

Quality Papers

We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.

Professional Academic Writers

Over the years, our Acme Homework has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.

Affordable Prices

Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.

On-Time delivery

We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.

100% Originality

At Papers Owl, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.

Customer Support 24/7

Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email:

Try it now!

Calculate the price of your order

We'll send you the first draft for approval by at
Total price:

How it works?

Follow these simple steps to get your paper done

Place your order

Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.

Proceed with the payment

Choose the payment system that suits you most.

Receive the final file

Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.

Our Services

Papers Owl has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.


Essay Writing Services

At Papers Owl, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.


Admission and Business Papers

Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.


Editing and Proofreading

Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.


Technical papers

We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.

error: Content is protected !!